Our Daily Dinner

Our Daily Dinner

January 17, 2011

My Version of Choucroute Garni

Preparing my version of choucroute garni, I remember the ones I ate on my several visits to Alsace: the mountain of pale choucroute, three different kinds of sausages, gigantic pig’s knuckle, cured slab bacon, plus boiled potatoes--enough to feed the Light Brigade. I briefly considered adding the two Italian sausages sitting in the refrigerator to my version, but decided against it. Who eats like that now?

Instead I concentrated on elevating the ready made sauerkraut from Schaller & Weber to something more akin to the noble Alsatian kraut. I warmed up some duck fat, added white wine and a few twists of ground juniper berries. When the mixture had cooked through, I turned off the heat and seasoned the sauerkraut with salt and sugar.

Menu

Baked Pork Chops with Vegetables
Sauerkraut
Boiled potatoes
Wine: Willm Rieseling 2008
Desert: Grapes

Prep Vegetables

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
Salt, pepper, pepper flakes, sugar

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Sauté green pepper, then add onion. Reduce heat and continue to cook. Add tomatoes. Cook vegetables for about 20 minutes until soft. Season the vegetables with salt, black pepper, pepper flakes and sugar. Set aside till ready to use.

Recipe Baked Pork Chops

2 pork chops, trimmed and patted dry
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Reheat the cooked vegetables.
Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. In a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add pork chops and sauté until lightly browned. Transfer pork chops to a casserole. Spoon the vegetables over the chops and bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, until the chops are cooked through.

George’s verdict: “tough and tasty.” Fact was I’d overcooked the chops by a few minutes. The sauerkraut tasted terrific.

No comments: