Our Daily Dinner

Our Daily Dinner

February 17, 2011

Old Time French Bistro Meal inspired by Left Overs

I had so much soup stock left over from the pot-au-feu dinner, I decided to make onion soup. I hadn’t cooked the dish since the 70’s, but, like bicycle riding, I didn’t forget. To be on the safe side, I checked out Julia Child’s version. Except for the addition of cognac (which I don’t have in the house), we were more or less in agreement.

Menu

Onion Soup
Celery Remoulade
Black Diamond Cheddar*
Wine: Sauvion Saumur-Champigny “Les Gravières Du Roy” 2009
Dessert: Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia Ice Cream

Prep Onion Soup

1½ lbs yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons butter
Salt
Pinch of sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2- 2 1/2 cups stock
¼ cup white wine
Black Pepper
Touch of Sazón Goya’s Coriander & Annato seasoning
2 slices of baguette, lightly toasted
½ cup grated Swiss cheese

In a heavy saucepan, cook the onions with the butter in a covered saucepan for 15 minutes. Uncover, raise heat and stir in salt and sugar. Cook for 30 minutes, until the onions have turned a golden brown. Sprinkle the onions with the flour; stir for a few minutes. Off heat, add the boiling liquid and the wine. Simmer, partially covered for 30 to 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook Onion Soup

When ready to serve, reheat. Adjust seasoning. Pour into soup bowls over the bread and sprinkle with grated cheese.

Recipe Celery Remoulade (inspired by my friend Sylvia I)

I tend to overbuy and had a big knob of celery root left over. Ugly looking and hard to clean, this is one of the most neglected vegetables. Pity, because celery remoulade is one of the most delectable salads.

1 celery root, peeled and coarsely grated
Lemon juice
About ½ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
Opt. 2 white celery stalks cut into small pieces
Some dried cranberries & walnut pieces

Sprinkle the grated celery root with lemon juice. Fold it into the mayonnaise/mustard dressing. Add celery, dried cranberries and walnuts. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.

*The onion soup was so filling and the celery remoulade so plentiful we never got around to the cheese.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I love French onion soup. I would just put less butter (I'm on a diet) :)

Cathy
French Course