Our Daily Dinner

Our Daily Dinner

March 12, 2011

Charcuterie Dinner

I needed a break from cooking and treated us to a predominantly Spanish charcuterie dinner, enhanced with a French Pâté and German potato salad.

Menu

Truffle Mousse Pâté*
Serrano Ham**
Morcilla
Chorizos
German potato salad*** with migas
Rolls
Wine: Muga Reserva 2006 Rioja
Dessert: Fresh pineapple

I have a soft spot for Serrano ham which I first tasted at the Museo del Jamon--the delicatessen/bar in Madrid--before it became legal to import the ham to the U.S. George prefers Prosciutto, finding Serrano ham too salty. I, on the other hand, wouldn’t touch blood sausages with a ten foot pole. Luckily, we came together over the chorizo, beautifully spiced with Pimenton de la Vera, and both agreed that the Truffle Mousse Pâté stole the show. The mousse contained chicken liver, sherry wine, truffles, mushrooms, and Brandy aspic. It was utterly delicious.

The surprise came with the potato salad/migas. In my infatuation with Despaña’s food, I had bought ½ pound of their ready made migas. Once home, I discovered that the migas ingredience had been cut into minuscule size. I couldn’t possibly serve it like that. But, when I tossed it into the German potato salad, the combination turned into a triumph.

The Rioja pulled the meal together nicely.


*Trader Joe's
www.traderjoes.com

**Despagna Brands Foods
www.despanyc.com

***Schaller & Weber
www.schallerweber.com

No comments: