Our Daily Dinner

Our Daily Dinner

March 27, 2010

Tortillitas with Shrimp

Thanks to Mark Bittman’s recipe in the New York Times, these pancakes are a welcome addition to my dinner repertoire.

Menu
Tortillitas with Shrimp
Baked Kale
Wine: Babich Sauvignon Blanc
Dessert: Chocolate
Madeira

Recipe:
½ cup chickpea flour
½ cup white flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup chopped green onions
12 small raw shrimp, peeled and chopped
About 1 cup of water, more if needed
Salt, pepper, thyme
Wesson oil

I prepared the batter, including the green onions and shrimps, ahead of time so that I wouldn’t have too much work to do at dinner time. When it was time for dinner, I pored a small ladle of batter into a pan with hot oil, and sautéd the pancake for about 3 minutes per side till slightly browned. I repeted this with the rest of the batter.

The only problem was that, by the time I cooked the last tortillitas, the first ones were cold. George always waits to start eating till I join him. Since I am cook, waiter, sommelier, bus boy, and dishwasher, that often takes some time.

I didn't care for the kale. Maybe I don't know how to cook it. Suggestions are welcome.