Our Daily Dinner

Our Daily Dinner

July 13, 2010

Lamb Burger with a Twist

The minute the heat eased up a bit, I thought “enough salad. I want some meat.” George likes chopped lamb but I find it rather boring. I remembered a recipe in Jean-Georges Vongerichten “Simple Cuisine” cookbook for lamb burger with Goat Cheese. Not exactly Kosher, but intriguing. I simplified the recipe and was very pleased with the result. So was George.

Menu

Lamb Burgers with Goat Cheese
Roasted red baby potatoes
Grape Tomatoes with purslane
Wine: Cantina Zaccagnini 2006
Monterpulciano d’Abruzzo
Dessert: Poached Peaches

Recipe Lamb Burger

½ pound lamb, ground
1 Tablespoon or 1 oz. Montchevre, fresh goat cheese
Salt and Black pepper

I divided the lamb into two portions, made an indentation, inserted the goat cheese, and formed the burgers. I seasoned the outside with a little bit of salt and plenty of pepper. In a hot sauté pan, I sautéed the burgers for 3 minutes on each side, and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.

A kind neighbor had left a bunch of fresh purslane at my door. It grew like wild at our flower bed in Sag Habor. Thinking it was a weed, I used to pull it out until our friend, cookbook author Ed Giobbi, told me this was a very tasty herb, ideal for salads. The purslane added a nice touch of color to the tomatoes which I cut in half and seasoned with Balsamic vinegar and sea salt.

The wine was terrific. At $12. a bottle, it was a bargain. I had grown tired of our wine selection and had ordered a variety of wines from the 67th Street Wine store-- delivered free of charge to the East Side.

No comments: