Our Daily Dinner

Our Daily Dinner

July 29, 2010

My Summer Wines

In general, I prefer red wine to white. But during the summer, I lean toward the whites-- with a nod to Rosé--because white wines, served chilled, pair well with our summer dishes. In addition I look for wines with relatively low alcohol content because they are lighter in style and easier on the head.

The following wines are our current staples. All are under $20. I frequently try a newly recommended wine and make changes. Since we don’t have a wine refrigerator, I re-order frequently.

I am not a wine expert and my selections are based on “like a lot”, “like”, “don’t like.” I’ve starred our list accordingly.

White Wines

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and Alsatian Riesling are my favorite white wines. Alsatian Pinot Gris and Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire run a close second. Lately, I have become enamored with Grüner Veltliner, Austria’s major grape variety. Good Grüner is dry and crisp, with a slight kick. Apremont from the Savoie region of France is another winner. Made with the 100% local Jacquère grape, it is dry and a bit flowery. The wine contains only 11.5% alcohol, but has enough backbone to stand up to food.

***Babich Sauvignon Blanc 2009

**Petit Bourgeois, 2009
Sauvignon Blanc
Vin de Pays du Val de Loire
Henri Bourgeois

***Willm, Riesling Reserve 2008

***Willm, Pinot Gris, 2008

**Pierre Boniface, Apremont, 2009
Vin de Savoie, French Alps

Rosé Wines

I always hesitate before I approach Rosés. Having tasted a lot of different Rosés in the last two months, the following three have made the grade.

Cherry red and mature, Giugal’s Tavel is a Rosé with muscle. Griffin’s Sangiovese Rosé comes from the heart of Washington State. Bright and burthing with flavor, it does Sangiovese proud. I confess, the peach colored, Couer D’Estélles Rosé, made it for sentimental reason: it reminds us of the year we lived with the children in the Provençe.

***E. Giugal , 2007
Tavel

***Barnard Griffin
Sangiovese Rosé, 2009
Columbia Valley

**Coeur Estérellelle, 2009
Côtes de Provence

Red Wines

I discovered the ItalianMontepulciano d’Abruzzo only recently. It is an excellent, well balanced wine that I like to serve with pasta dishes. The Spanish Rioja has been a favorite for quite some time. No reason to change it.

***Cantina Zaccagnini, 2007
Montepulciano d’Abruzzo

**Marqués de Caceres Rioja, Crianza 2005

In addition, I always have a bottle of Prosecco Zartdetto Brut in the refrigerator, in case we are in celebratory mood.

No comments: