Our Daily Dinner

Our Daily Dinner

April 2, 2010

An Italian Feast


When I decided to crown my visit to Chinatown with a visit to Di Palo’s* in the remaining enclave of Little Italy, I had two surprises: Di Palo’s had expanded to three times in size; I was served immediately. Prior to that, I used to wait for nearly an hour until my number was called, meanwhile participating in every other customers’ purchases: sampling their cheese selections, prosciutto, salami, and getting advice on the best Balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Now the spacious store is stacked with packaged, imported goods, including chocolate. Although it was Easter week, I was served right away. I sampled various salamis, tasted the Prosciutto di Parma, and was delighted by the Crucolo cheese from Trentino. But, I missed the former buzz. Maybe the rain held people back.

To complete my Italian mission, I went to Café Ferrara and bought a slice of Italian Ricotta cheesecake which, I know, George loves.

Menu

Prosciutto di Parma
Aged Genoa Salami
Crucolo cheese
Freshly made Mozzarella
Salad
Baguette from Eli’s Vinegar Factory
Wine: Nipozzano Riserva 2006
Chianti Rufina
Dessert: Italian Cheese Cake

It was a feast.


*Di Palo’s of Little Italy
200 Grand Street (bet. Mulberry & Mott Sts)