Our Daily Dinner

Our Daily Dinner

April 12, 2010

Mussels 201

The meal was a triumph. “Best mussels I had in recent memory,” said George.

I wholeheartedly agreed: the mussels were plumb and juicy; the broth was so delicious, we nearly used a whole baguette to soak it up. The difference from my April 3 endeavor was I
used scallions instead of onion, left out the celery, doubled the butter, and a opted for a better wine.

Recipe

3 scallions, peeled and chopped
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup Babich Sauvignon Blanc
2 lbs mussels
Chopped curly parsley

Menu

Moules Marinères
Wine: Babich: Sauvignon Blanc
Dessert: Vanilla Ice Cream
85% chocolate

“Let’s try it with a different wine, next time,” said George. “We could do a whole series, mussels with Muscadet, a Burgundy, Alsatian Riesling, Rías Baixas Alberiño, and so on.

I loved the idea; a sort of "Mussels of The Month Club." But it would have wait until September, because I don't like to buy mussels during the summer spawning season which coincides with the letter "r."

2 comments:

Robert said...

I've a question related to the blog on staples. How long can preserved lemons be stored? I purchased a jar about 6 months ago, but it looked like it had been on the store's shelf for a while. Any advice? Peggy

Our Daily Dinner said...

Peggy,

I used to me these preserved lemons myself, following Paula Wolfert's Moroccan cookbook. I seem to recall that the lemons lasted for one to two months.