Our Daily Dinner

Our Daily Dinner

April 8, 2010

Table for Two: Two Seperate Orders

Skirt Steak & Meat Loaf


George and I are not big steak eaters. But when I noticed a tray with marinated skirt steaks at the butcher shop, I decided to give it a try. Skirt steak cuts, I learned, are taken from the diaphragm muscle. I almost stopped right there. But the butcher assured me that although skirt steaks maybe a bit tough, they are flavorful and juicy and highly prized by steak lovers.

George opted out which was no big deal since I had also made a meatloaf.

Menu

Skirt Steak
Meat Loaf
Baked Spinach
Roasted Red Baby Potatoes
Wine: Saint-Esprit 2007 Côtes-du-Rhône, Delas
Dessert: 85 % Lindt Chocolate

The skirt steak was so narrow, I just seared it briefly and let it rest. When ready to serve, I cut thin slices of the steak against the grain. As it turned out, the marinade had rendered the steak very tender; slicing the piece against the grain helped. The steak was as juicy and flavorful as promised. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The less said about the meatloaf, the better. In my desire to make a better meatloaf, I had bought equal amounts of chopped beef and pork. Since I didn’t want to taste the meat because of the pork, I seasoned it with salt and pepper, and hoped for the best. Alas, the best wasn’t good enough: the meatloaf was salty and too compact. Rolling it in Panko flakes rather than in ordinary breadcrumbs didn’t help.

George suggested I try 10 different ways to prepare meatloaf and write about the results. Not to worry. But, I might try one or two.

No comments: